Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Monday, March 03, 2008


A Year of Morning Thanks

Law-breaking, sort of

As the attributes of God go, transcendence has never been a problem. It’s his imminence that baffles me. It's something of Santa Claus, I suppose, who can slide down a gadzillion chimneys at the same time on the same night. God's imminence offers an ear for fully as many prayers, some by rote, some by groaning. Impossible.

I don’t doubt his imminence really, but it's beyond human ken to determine how he pulls that off. Maybe he’s got all-of-life-on-Earth backed up on some huge hard drive. I don’t know.

I just hope he’s as gentle as advertized and blessed with a heavenly sense of humor.

Our four-year-old, towhead grandson has a thing for carrots. Yesterday, Sunday dinner, he had four helpings—doesn’t hurt, of course, that his grandma slathers them in butter and brown sugar. The fourth installment came after a caramel ice cream sundae sprinkled with tiny candy bits that are more fun than meaningful.

After all of that--after three helpings and a whole hamburger and a caramel sundae, he reaches, one more time, for the carrots, now scrumptiously room-temperature, then piles a dozen or so on his plate, and starts in again.

That’s when he blurted it out. “I love carrots more than God and more than the whole wide world,” he proclaimed toothlessly, thereby thumbing his little nose at the sum total of all biblical law.

His father tried a little Sunday School right then and there, but his grandpa giggled and hoped the Lord was tuned in to prayers somewhere down the block.

Even if our grandson isn’t the kid Jesus had in mind with the thing about child-like faith, somehow, I think he’ll let it go, scratch it up to silliness.

Besides, as foodstuffs go, you’ve got to admit our grandson could do a whole lot worse than vitamin-rich carrots.

And me? As always, I’m just happy there’s forgiveness. And I'm even a little thankful, this morning, for four-year-old grandsons who, with divine impunity, break the rules.

4 comments:

Laura E said...

A great post for a Monday morning, when we all need a little smile to start off the day...and week.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the much-needed smile.

beim said...

Or maybe your grandson is exactly who Jesus had in mind...I think when He called the children to him, some of them probably had carrot juice lathered all over their face. Thanks for this post.

Real Live Preacher said...

What a great story. I love it. As I see it there are two options. 1. God never even heard it. 2. God heard it and laughed like we did.

I suppose there are other options, but none that I can stomach.