Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Sunday, March 16, 2008



Saturday Morning's Catch

"Well, Toto, we sure aren't in Kansas anymore. . ."




Quick trip to Wisconsin, to the lakeshore, an early morning sunrise that was far more glorious than I can catch in my camera. When I couldn't get to the place I wanted to go that morning--the wetlands had swamped the lake roads--I headed back to the state park, where I guessed I could at least make it down the beach. I was right--and, even though the flooded lakeroads delayed my getting out there, I was still in time. Two flat banks of clouds were poised just above the horizon as the sun emerged.





I think it's just me: I'm just not good enough a photographer to get it right. I need a teacher; experience ain't enough. Experience, I've got plenty of, but I still can't get all that beauty in a file.






From a snowy beach at Terry Andrea-John Michael Kohler State Park, where I worked forty years ago. Might have caught this one then, too, way back then, on the right March morning. That's a good thought, a comforting thought.



On the frozen sand, not much to silhouette but long harried stalks of beach grass.




And a jet, adding an almost perfect line.



Honestly, I'm disappointed again because nothing captures what was there before me on the beach on Saturday morning. It's a game--and my own game attempt to get it right. But you can't miss, really, with that kind of heavenly beauty.

3 comments:

Laura E said...

Beautiful pictures! Where in Wisconsin were you?

Siouxlander said...

Born and reared in Oostburg, Sheboygan County, Laura. My mom is in a retirement home in Sheboygan.

Robin Mendelson said...

I think your pictures are wonderful!!!

You composed the pictures quite artistically and you've captured both the solitude of the moment and the excitement of the impending sunrise.

Besides, no matter how well you capture a moment photographically, each person is going to have their own interpretation anyways.

However, one thing I've learned along the quest to perfect my own photograpic technique, is that - by studying and reading about master photographers - they come back to a place several times and study the scene. Then, they perhaps takes pictures several, many even hundrends of times. So the infamous images you see by Ansel Adams or John Fiedler, are really the calculated work of many experiments to achieve perfection.

So, while I think you've done a wonderful job with these photos, if you seek a greater degree of control...try picking a landscape close to your home, and go back several times over the course of a day. Studying the light and how it falls on the elements in the landscape, and how it's reflected off them. Next, take several series of pictures and document what the light was like and what you were trying to achieve.

It's only through a successive series of trial and error, where you systematically record and analyze your work, that you will transcend your threshold in photography and reach a higher level of control.

Good luck...you're off to a marvelous start!