Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Friday, March 28, 2008


A Year of Morning Thanks


Welcoming People

Just one of my jobs in the last couple of weeks has been to try to muster about 30 homes for a touring choir who's coming to town. Honestly, I thought it might be tough. One person even asked if anyone had simply thought about renting motel rooms--picking up a bill rather than messing with people's lives. I thought I'd have to recruit, quite frankly. I thought I'd have to beg.

As it turned out, I had more offers than I needed. Not a ton more, but more. I didn't expect that because affluence has its seamier sides. I did a story not long ago about a family who has a softball team that's one hundreds of tournaments. When they were kids, they had one ball--not just one softball, but one ball, one of those red playground all-arounds. When it would blow, they'd patch it. They loved it. Today, the whole blame family is athletes.

Sometimes--and it's as true for me as it is for anyone--when we have more, we don't give it away as easily, having lost a sense of less. There are no poor in gated communities.

Anyway, this morning, I'm thankful I was wrong. I'm thankful for people who, without blinking an eye, opened up their home. "I got beds," they said. "Bring those kids on."

And I'm thankful there were so many. Their largess is my great blessing.

No comments: