Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Friday, March 07, 2008


from A Year of Morning Thanks


Just dropping by


An old friend had back surgery a while ago. Didn’t know about it until at least a month after it happened, when I bumped into his wife, who told me it hadn’t been an easy road for him.

I had back surgery myself eight years ago, and today, after a ton of groaning, I don’t have a lick of a problem anymore. What I’m saying is, I had things to say to him. Not only that, we’ve been friends, really, for years.

Some people I know are immensely gifted at visiting people when they’re down. They not only see it as a calling, they actually enjoy it, even love it.

I’ve not been blessed with such gifts, never have been. I didn’t want to go visit him, but I had promised his wife I would, and she gave me every reason to believe that I should.

So I did. And I’m glad I pushed myself to do it.

But now I’m wondering why it is so ever-loving hard for me to put myself out the door, why I have to force myself to trot over there and take care of business. Is it a species of pride that keeps me home? Am I just too busy with my own life to care about others? Why is hard for me to do pay a kindly visit when I know someone needs it?

This morning, I’m really thankful that I stopped in at my friend’s place, but I know very well it’s going to be just as difficult next time.

No comments: