Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008


from A Year of Morning Thanks

Van der Soprano

Now you take Tony Soprano’s family, if they’re not killing each other, they’re constantly hugging and kissing in fine Italian style. It’s tradition, I suppose.

Take us on the other hand. We’re not a touchy-feely family, even if maybe we should be. But then, neither my wife nor I are descendent from big-time huggers. We don’t kiss or squeeze very freely. We’re pretty much cold fish, I suppose, but then we like it that way. Besides, if wholesale hugs and kisses were key to having good familes, the Sopranos would be Ozzie and Harriet—which they aren’t.

But not long ago, at Sunday dinner, my granddaughter, who was just about five back then, all of a sudden told us all that she’d like us to hold hands during prayer, a suggestion she’d never made before.

With the powerful authority that five-year-olds wield, no one questioned her directive, even for a moment. Like perfectly obedient parents, I held my wife’s hand on one side and my son-in-law’s on the other, for the first time in my life that I can remember.

It’s not something my children do at home either, praying while holding hands, so we were all surprised by her out-of-the-blue insistence. But there we sat, a bunch of cold fish holding hands in a circle as if at any moment we’d start in on “Kumbayah.”

I don’t know that we’ve ever done it again, at least she’s never insisted on it. But once lunch was over, we spent most of the day giggling about it, and for that I’m thankful.

1 comment:

Laura E said...

I remember you telling us this in class once, asking us why couples felt the need to sit so close to each other during chapel. This is a cute story!