Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008


from A Year of Morning Thanks

Things we love

I read somewhere that computer dating services have been an abundant resource for researchers studying why we fall in love—and with whom. I’m sure that’s true, but I still think that, mostly, love is a mystery.

But then, why we love anything is a mystery. Take this picture, shot when the temp was -22 degrees, and my fingers were freezing, too cold to distinguish shutters and lenses. All there is here is a chunk of frozen ground with a few errant grasses, a turquoise sky, the faintest splotch of a morning moon.

I really love it. Why? I have absolutely no idea, although I’m quite sure that I may well be the only soul under the sun who thinks it beautiful.

Maybe because I was there? Who knows? But this morning, just a couple of days before Valentine's Day, I’m thankful for the things we love, even if no one else knows why, nor do we.

2 comments:

Pastor Chad said...

It is amazing how the big, open, cold, clear, sky seems to grow on a person. Having grown up on the prairies of Southern Alberta myself, there is nothing like a crisp morning with the sun marching up from the horizon.

Real Live Preacher said...

Yow, -22? Thay have that? I'm from South Texas, so I don't even remember the last time we had +22.