Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008


from A Year of Morning Thanks

Good Intentions

An old friend from my boyhood sent me a note he scratched out late one night not long ago, a note to his friend, a man who’d just walked away from his wife, supposedly, I guess, for someone else, someone younger. It was a sweet, heartfelt admonition, just one paragraph, one long extended metaphor about the pitfalls of trading in a car--you know, trading in an old junker for something with great new lines. I swear, any species of feminist would have gone ballistic.

The night, he said, had gone like this. He said he couldn’t sleep, and his wife was bawling. I mean, these people were friends, right? So he got himself up out of bed and wrote this thing about the glories of an old car. The man is not a writer, nor does he know a thing--not a blessed thing--about political correctness. But he's got these friends, right?—and they have been for a long time; and what his buddy did just broke his heart.

Honestly, some people I know would think that single paragraph not only sexist but crude, but this old friend of mine was just trying to bring some healing order to a world that had suddenly turned inside out.

I know, I know--I've said it myself a thousand times: "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

But this morning I’m still thankful for good intentions because sometimes they’re better than no intentions at all.

1 comment:

beim said...

"to bring some healing order..."

I like that and will take it with me into my classroom tomorrow.