Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Friday, January 18, 2008


A Year of Morning Thanks


Change


For the last several years, the relationship between management and labor, between administration and faculty, at the place I work has been torn and shredded into sheer non-existance. For an institution that sells itself as "Christian," it sometimes appears that love itself has left the building. And all of that prompts some--me among them--to want to leave.


But as I speak, the possibility of change is imminent: the institution is seeking a Provost, and we've got good candidates.


Yesterday, a colleague from another division came over to chat about prospects. A number of his cohorts, he said, favored the candidate most clearly an agent of change. They're favoring him, he said, despite the uneasy sense that the college could get itself in worse trouble under his leadership. No matter, he said; things are so bad around here that the mere possibility of change offers most hope in the present circumstance.


I'm in that camp myself. And he's right. Right now, change is just another word for hope.


So this morning, for morning thanks, I'm grateful, simply, for change. Tomorrow I could well be thankful for tradition and stability and foundational gravitas--I'm an old man, after all; but this morning, in our present circumstance, even the possibility of change seems to me and others to be a rich and hearty blessing.

1 comment:

ricknieklikebike said...

Prost to hope. Change seems to be the overwhelming message these days. It hasn't always done me right and I'm scared of it. But God bless my education and those who provide the educational faculties and those deem to educate. That's the simple mantra my Grandpa Renza believed in and for. I wish for that.