Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saturday Morning's Catch




Shooting pictures out here on the edge of the Plains isn't all that easy--either that, I'm too old to learn. This morning the sun came up behind a band of clouds that turned the eastern sky into a campfire--small but spectucular. I didn't get it, sadly enough, and in just a few moments the fire was gone. I tried.

Once the sun cleared that low-slung battleship of cloudiness, it rose robustly. There isn't much color, mid-winter, so basically, on a landscape as broad and open as ours, the only materials convenient are tree limbs--dark and scraggly lines against the nothingness.







They do catch at least something of the cold.



Sometimes sheer texture can be interesting.





And I ran across this old corn crib/barn or whatever, three doors within ten feet of each other. Three brothers once lived there. People said they had a heckuva time getting along (I made that up). Maybe it once was the county jail. Who knows?



Only bunnies call it home today.






I stayed out a long time but didn't come back with much. It was almost ten degrees--felt balmy. Just a little Saturday morning therapy on the Northern Plains.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim,
Mark Vogelzang here in Vermont...I've been enjoying your photos and of course, the writing, from the Siouxland blog. As a camera guy, I'm appreciative of the lovely images from early today. Going to be in Sioux Center for Homecoming in a couple of weeks. Perhaps we can catch up.
Best,
Mark
Mvogelzang@vpr.net

Siouxlander said...

I'll look forward to it! And congrats on the honor, sir. jcs