Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Morning Thanks--Owls in fresh snow



This morning, when I stepped outside, I was greeted by a new snowfall, something out of Currier and Ives, gentle as a song.

In a small town, new snow mutes everything, enclosing the neighborhood in alabaster fur, everything softly hidden like a child's hands in a muff, a comforting kind of silence.

It’s January, and the first snow is far behind us. By this time of year, new snow isn’t yet tedious, a bother, although in another month it will be. This morning everything is white and pure once again, a joy. Right now, very early in the morning, nothing moves.

The tracks of some stray cat led from our back door to the garage and out again—the only sense of life around me.

But through the darkness just now I listened to the gentle baritone of some local owl in a tree not far away, a soft drumming sound, as meditational as anything I know of, the only sound in a day that hasn’t yet awakened.

Like Thoreau, this morning, out there in the muted world of fresh new snow, I rejoice that there are owls.

3 comments:

ricknieklikebike said...

It was a week ago, midnight, not long after the second layer of pure new snow and quietly waited for whatever set of footprints the white fur could withstand. 12:06 I look into the front yard of my West Des Moines home and there were two young white tale bucks sniffing around my front yard. I can think of no better way to break in a new snow.

Siouxlander said...

Sweet.

ricknieklikebike said...

corrections...or I'll drive myself nuts..."It was a week ago, midnight...pure new snow and I quietly waited for whatever set...etc." Also White TAIL bucks...duh. Either way, it was sweet. I like night photography and hope to get a good shot of this or that. Sometimes this and that.