Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Monday, January 28, 2008


from A Year of Morning Thanks

Getting Patronized

Not long ago, in class, I was trying to explain something students sometimes have trouble understanding.

I must have tried too hard. After five minutes of my own incessant blabbering, I looked at them and asked them if they understood. “Questions?” I said.

No one moved.

“Get it?” I said.

No response.

“Am I beatin’ a dead horse here?” I said. “You’ve got it, right?”

When they looked at me almost pathetically, half smiles all around, I understood I'd gone on too long.

The older I get, the harder it is for me to see myself as others see me. I wish that weren’t true; but, this morning, I’m thankful, at least, that I can still see when I’m being patronized, albeit sweetly.

I hope God never takes away my vision, even if, for some reason, he someday takes my eyes.

2 comments:

Mel said...

When my former wife used to try to train our dog, instead of telling the dog to sit and applying pressure to his hind quarters and lift his nose, she would repeatedly say the word,"sit-sit-sit-sit". What the dog heard was a long annoying noise and learned nothing. Was it a little like that?

Mel
Scottsdale, AZ.

Siouxlander said...

The only difference being, perhaps, that your wife probably didn't feel patronized. But then, knowing dogs, who knows?