Morning Thanks

Garrison Keillor once said we'd all be better off if we all started the day by giving thanks for just one thing. I'll try.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Morning Thanks--Opportunities to listen




This morning I was sure I wasn't going to lose. I was out early, chose the landscape carefully--had lots of time; I walked about a mile in beautiful, fresh snow that quilted the whole country, maybe three inches of light, fluffy stuff last night, late. Once out there, I waited for the sun. I was prepared--right place, right time--two cameras around my neck, both of them staying warm in my jacket. 


The best of the lot may be the one at the bottom--"just before dawn, sioux county, iowa." There, I even gave it a name. It's not as startling as I'd like, but it catches what was there--and what was there was beautiful.

I didn't have all day--only fifteen minutes or so post-sunrise. But the world was crystalline. Still, I thought I couldn't miss.

I took this shot several times at different times during the dawn. I loved the way the creek foregrounds the whole shot and and then swims away toward that distant farm place. But I don't think I did it right. It's too dark, and I can't seem to reclaim it. Should have waited for another half hour, but I didn't have the time.

The eastern sky changed fast; everytime I looked that direction it gave me a different look. I took a few, but none of them really takes my breath away.

Like I said, I was sure I was going to come home with a trophy today. I really did. But I didn't. And what's worse, I don't know why not. This time the heavens definitely declared the glory. This time I guess I was in no shape for the proclamation.

Oh, well--there'll be more mornings alone, more opportunity to listen.

No comments: